Friday, October 4, 2013

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, Pumpkins!

I'm slightly jealous of the lovely fall weather that everyone back home keeps talking about, so on Sunday I made my favorite Pinterest find ever- pumpkin pull apart bread for a meeting with the early childhood teachers.



Then on Monday I had my After school activities baking club, so we made pumpkin pancakes.  I have 7 first and second grade girls, who all insisted that they hated vegetables, especially pumpkin.  Turns out they changed their tune and loved the pancakes after all! This isn't the most appealing picture, but they were good.



Here's the recipe we used:

Pumpkin Pancakes



  • ·        1 1/4 cups flour
  • ·        2 tablespoons sugar
  • ·        2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ·        1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt
  • ·        1 cup milk
  • ·        6 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
  • ·        2 tablespoons melted butter
  • ·        1 egg
Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together milk, pumpkin, melted butter, and egg. Fold mixture into dry ingredients.  Spray or grease a skillet and heat over medium heat: pour in 1/4 cup batter for each pancake. Cook pancakes about 3 minutes per side. Serve with butter and syrup. 



Lastly, I put out my Halloween decorations today.  Real pumpkins are exorbitantly expensive here, so we use clay ones instead.  

It may not feel like fall here, but clay pumpkins in the desert and pumpkin flavored food is close enough :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment